Indian Creek Ribbon Cutting
The Indian Creek Ribbon cutting took place on April 3, 2014. The event was free and open to all faculty, staff, and students. Director of Recreational Services Scott R. Levin gave the welcome, and remarks were made by Andrew Whyte, President of the Student Government Association; Douglass F. Covey, Vice President of Student Affairs; and Mark P. Becker, President of Georgia State University. A reception and facility tours followed the ceremony.
A Brief History
1938– The Indian Creek Recreation Area was purchased by Georgia State University for use as a recreational center for the evening college.
1940 – A 20′ x 40′ annex was added to the lodge, the interior and exterior were painted and new waterworks were added. A two-story kitchen, a serving room and a large ballroom were added, and shuffleboard courts were set up.
1952 – The lodge was given an exterior granite wall on all sides, adding to the beauty of the structure, making it more comfortable and protecting it from forest fires.
1953 – Georgia State paved the winding dirt road leading to the lodge from the Stone Mountain Highway.
1954 – The red house at the bottom of the hill was constructed for on-site caretakers to live. The pool was still fed from a spring on the property. Plans for a small house next to the lodge were drawn as a weekend house for the president.
1955 – The pool was converted to converted to county water, and a modern filtration system was installed. More renovations of the lodge took place, including the expansion of the main meeting room and the addition of a sunroom, exterior decks and ramps.
1978 – Central air conditioning was added to the lodge, along with a one-story addition and partial basement.
1985 – The original ropes course was built.
1991 – Management of the property was turned over to Recreational Services.
1996 – General renovation and upgrades were made to the entire lodge, funded by Student Activities.
2010 – A long-range master plan was initiated to address the future development of the property for the next century.
2012 – The original lodge was razed to make way for a new, modern, efficient and environmentally sustainable facility. The old ropes course was replaced.
2013 – The new Indian Creek Lodge and ropes course were completed.