Georgia State announces a call for the 2020 Sparks Awards nominations. Deadline for submission of nominations is 5 p.m. on Friday, February 7.
The awards will be presented at the Service Recognition ceremony on Tuesday, April 21 at 3 p.m. in the Student Center East Ballroom.
The Sparks Awards were first presented by the Alumni Association in 1985 and are named for Dr. George McIntosh Sparks, the university’s president from 1928-1957.
They recognize Georgia State’s unsung heroes: faculty, staff and students who exemplify a willingness to go “the extra mile” with good humor and perseverance. These were the characteristics of one of the university’s most highly regarded presidents.
Use the nomination form below and provide a typed statement explaining why your nominee should receive a Sparks Award. Include specific examples demonstrating how your nominee has gone above and beyond duties and expectations in service to the Georgia State community. A committee that includes past Sparks Award recipients will select the winners based on the information submitted.
The following guidelines apply to the award:
- Students should be juniors or seniors enrolled this semester; graduate students should be enrolled and/or employed this semester.
- Only full-time faculty and staff are eligible.
- Faculty and staff nominees must have been associated with Georgia State or Perimeter College for at least five years.
- Individuals who hold the titles of dean, provost or vice president (including associates and assistants) are ineligible for the award.
- Past Sparks Award recipients are not eligible.